Skip to content
10 Fascinating Facts About the Trucking Industry
- In 2018, the trucking industry generated nearly $800 billion (ATA, 2019).
- In 2018, the American trucking industry posted revenues higher than the GDP of more than 150 nations (Insider, 2019).
- In 2018, trucks moved 11.49 billion tons of freight, 71.4% of the nation’s tonnage freight (ATA, 2019).
- The average professional long-haul trucker logs more than 100,000 miles per year (Insider, 2018).
- Trucks move more than 70% of all goods transported around the United States (Insider, 2018).
- Most grocery stores would run out of food in just three days if long-haul truckers stopped driving (Insider, 2018).
- Trucking’s revenues accounted for 80.3% of the nation’s freight bil (ATA, 2019).
- There are 7.8 million people employed in trucking-related jobs, up 100,000 from the previous year. This includes 3.5 million professional drivers (2019).
- Most carriers are small companies – 91.3% of fleets operate six or fewer trucks and 97.4% operate 20 or fewer (ATA, 2019).
- The vast majority of trucking companies in the US are small businesses not big corporations (KMMS, 2015).